At the beginning of the course, we were asked to define childhood and education.

How I defined “Childhood” was:

• A particular time frame from when you are born until you finish high-school.
  • Childhood Consists of various developmental stages (infant, toddler, child, teen).
  • Childhood can be good or bad or both.
  • It generally shapes adults into who they become.

How I defined “Education” was:

• It can be implemented in various ways and differs based on religion, sex, race, class and time period.
  • Is meant to be encouraged in adults and required in children.

Now after learning about childhood and education over the past few months, my definitions have broadened.

Childhood is a period of time that shapes an individual into who they become. Childhood has differed throughout the centuries and continues to change. Childhood is dependent on multiple factors and is not possible to define as one particular aspect. Childhood is an important stage within a person’s life.

Education is more than a system. It is any form of learning and starts when you are first born. Education continues to grow and although it is beginning to become more progressive there are still many aspects of education that remain formal. It is a process of requiring knowledge that is continuous throughout life.